Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 17:46:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: news software - which to use ?

> Question:
>   	Which manuals should I read for which tools, to get my host to
> 	download a few newsgroups from my IP provider to read off line ?
> It seems FreeBSD offers a choice between at least nntp, cnews, & inn.
> I have current src & ports
> I connect via slip daily for a short time to my IP provider,
> I really do want those newsgroups local & off line, not read on line.

Our current setup allows our customers to dial in both as uucp and ppp/slip.

They can then subscribe to the favored groups and download that news via
uucp (compressed batches).  Email is also easily handled this way.

They can use netscape/nnrp via their ppp/slip access to look for new news
groups to get hooked on.

This is actually a good mix of old and new.  You might check to see if your
provider can do the same.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net