Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 02:23:22 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembly language tutorial

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 09:51:27PM -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
> I have since updated the tutorial. While I wrote it in a language
> of my own design, I have now adjusted the language software so it
> can produce both HTML as seen on http://www.int80h.org/bsdasm/
> and SGML in the format Murray has shown me.

   What is the nature of this source language that you have created?
Why not use SGML as the source language?  There is a very powerful
software package that allows you to convert SGML files to many
different formats (jade) and a rich assortment of pre-made stylesheets
for the DocBook DTD (used by the FreeBSD Documentation Project).
For example, we can easily produce PDF, PostScript, TeX, ASCII, or
HTML versions of your assembly language chapter in the Developer's
Handbook from the SGML source by simply typing "make FORMATS=pdf ..."

> - First, I would appreciate if someone could take a look at
>   the SGML and tell me if it is correct.

   After a quick glance I see a couple of minor errors.  The easiest
way to spot them all is to checkout a copy of the developers
handbook and then remove x86/chapter.sgml and replace that file with
your x86.sgml and then try to make the handbook.  The first error is
because <note> can't contain character data (must use
incorrectly using the <example> tag.

   If you are really determined to use your own format and
automatically generate SGML, then it would be very helpful if you
could alter your script to follow our indentation style for
readability.

> - Second, I need to know how to officially submit future
>   additions to the chapter.

  You can send them to this list or me personally and I'll review and
commit it.

> - Third, I need to know how to refer to other parts of the same
>   handbook. I mean parts written by someone else. I noticed
>   the handbook uses some very cryptic labels, such as AEN5339.
>   How do I know the proper label for some other sect[123]?

  I'll let someone else answer this one since I don't remember off the
top of my head.  I think you refer to the id of the section you want
to point to in an <xlink> but I'll let someone else answer
definitively.  Most of my work with SGML/DSSSL is with my own DTDs, so
my knowledge of DocBook isn't the greatest.  I usually just copy from
somewhere else in the handbook.

http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html

> Anyway, the SGML is at http://www.int80h.org/bsdasm/x86.sgml
> and is updated automatically when I change the tutorial (it
> is actually a CGI program that converts it to SGML on the fly).

  Looks good but I'm mostly curious what you're converting from and if
it wouldn't be easier for yourself and everyone else to just maintain
the document in SGML.

    - Murray