Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:21:20 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        "Rick Robinson (Rick Robinson)" <gt9964a@prism.gatech.edu>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spelling

Rick Robinson (Rick Robinson) wrote:

>          The possessive form of the third-person singular neuter pronoun --
> a.k.a. "it" -- is spelled "its," not "it's."
>         "It's" is a contraction of "it is."

Absolutely right.  I dare you to find "it's" used improperly in the
sections I've written.

What's even more disheartening is how often I see "it's" used as
possessive "it" in hand-written store signs, local organization
newsletters---and much worse---mass media.  It probably won't be long
until "it's" is accepted American English for either the possessive or
the contraction, and "its" is incorrect altogether.  The end of the
world should happen soon thereafter.  ;-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov