Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:28:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kerneld for FreeBSD

    I personally consider leaving the kernel module loadable intact after
    boot to be a huge, huge security hole.  Loadable modules... fine, but
    once the machine goes multi-user I want to up the securelevel and
    that disables any further kld operations.  If one of the biggest
    advantages of FreeBSD is its robustness and reliability, then one
    generally does not want to go loading and unloading modules all the
    time.

    A 'kerneld' like gizmo for FreeBSD would be a waste of time.  The
    scheme we have now -- having the utility programs load the modules
    on the fly (ifconfig, vnconfig, etc...) works wonderfully.

						-Matt