Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:17:57 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xorg and xfree86

--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:54:13AM -0500, Duane Winner wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I was wondering if anybody could provide me with a brief explanation of=
=20
> why FreeBSD has made Xorg the default X11 implementation over XFree86.
>=20
> It doesn't really matter to me, I've tried it, it seems to work fine,=20
> and almost exactly the same.
>=20
> The only problem I've run into so far is is that my old XF86Config file=
=20
> with the refresh rates for my external monitor connected to my laptop=20
> didn't quite take (kept going to 800x600). After some minor fiddling, I=
=20
> managed to get it working (I still need to do it again a few times so I=
=20
> make sure I understand fully what I'm doing).
>=20
> I've read a bunch of docs, but can't seem to find an answer on why=20
> FreeBSD has moved to Xorg. Is it just a political/licensing issue? Like=
=20
> I said, it's not a big deal, but I manage the internal 'Howto' document=
=20
> for our organization, and since we're in the process of moving from=20
> 5.2.1 to 5.3, it would be nice to have a little mention of why we're=20
> going to Xorg after my entire section for installing X is going to=20
> change from Xfree86 instructions.

We took a look at the activity of both projects, and it looked like
xorg is more active and is going to be the de facto future standard
implementation.

FreeBSD also has a closer integration with the xorg project because we
have a committer who works on both projects.

Kris

--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML

--RYJh/3oyKhIjGcML--