Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 01:17:58 +0000
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base-6.1 problems

"Russell D. Murphy Jr." wrote:

> To followup on one of my own posts; the Makefile in
> /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base includes the following definition:
>
> REMOVE_DIRS= /dev /home /root /tmp /var/tmp /usr/local /usr/tmp
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^

Argh!

linux_base-5.2 did not remove /copat/linux/usr/local at pkg_delete-time.
linux_base-6.1 did it on install-time :-(

> Am I completely unclear about what's happening?  Is /usr/local
> *supposed* to be removed for some reason?

The problem is this:

One of the packages (filesystem IIRC) creates an empty usr/local
directory. We don't actually want that directory, because it would make
the regular /usr/local "invisible" (ie the empty /compat/linux/usr/local
overlays the "normal" /usr/local). So, the port removes the *assumed*
empty directory. The same holds for the other directories.

> I would have appreciated at
> least a warning, since I had placed some linux-specific software under
> /usr/local (/compat/linux/usr/local).

It's a bug. It can be fixed, but in general it may be better to not have
any additional software (other than rpms I guess) under /compat/linux.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org