Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:34:38 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Alain Buret <aburet@fosdem.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port's author

+----[ Alain Buret <aburet@fosdem.org> (17.Aug.2004 09:19):

| Hi there,
|
| I would like to know who "invented" the BSD port, or who is the person
| that maintain it. Information is requested for maybe inviting him/her at
| FOSDEM 2005.

+----]

I don't know who "invented" the BSD ports system ... I just
did a quick google search and found no article on the
history of the ports system ... maybe someone has some
pointers that I missed?

Nonetheless, a look in the cvs repository shows that version
1.1 of bsd.port.mk (which, at that time perhaps was _the_
FreeBSD ports system) dates from August, 1994. The file has
been committed by Jordan Hubbard. Jordan has been a key
member in the FreeBSD development, from what I've read so
far, so it is possible that he's also been involved in the
creation of the ports system. I'm sure some veteran FreeBSD
user could give you more details :)

As for who's maintaining it, currently a group of people.
They can be reached at <portmgr@freebsd.org>.

Hope this helps,

Fernan

Fernan Aguero -  fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Phone: +54 11 4580-7255/7 ext 310, Fax: +54 11 4752-9639
Check http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan for more info.