Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 17:25:55 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com (Russell L. Carter), davidg@Root.COM, gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: wcarchive down

> Could someone say how it spammed its disks, and why the upgrade to
> -current instead of sticking at 1.1.5.1?

1. Dicky 1742 controller, it looks like.  The thing was ancient and needed
   to be upgraded.

2. We don't even have any reasonable 1.1.5.1 distributions around here.
   We took the legal injunction seriously, and I doubt that I'd even be able
   to scare up a 1.x repair disk if I tried.  Nor would I ftp a distribution
   from somewhere else.  Those kinds of hassles we don't need.  It's not
   worth it.  Running 1.x on wcarchive all this time was a major thorn in
   our side and a perennial risk for Walnut Creek, legally bound as they were
   to not use 1.x.  I'm glad it's behind us.

						Jordan