Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:27:44 +0100
From:      ASV <asv@inhio.eu>
To:        Jose Garcia Juanino <jjuanino@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie question about freebsd-update: single user mode is not needed anymore?

Hi Jose,

with the freebsd-update method you don't need to pass through the "make
installworld" as it's a binary patch/upgrade system.
Using "freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.1-RELEASE" for example allows you to
get your system patched directly without recompiling the kernel and the
userland but getting binary patches from the repo and applying these
directly on your system.
Check the following page for a more detailed explanation and be aware
that upgrading your ports/packages is required every time you upgrade
your kernel to a major version (which would be your case).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

Happy new year.