Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 00:06:09 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Europe says yes to spam

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 07:57:35PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > There is also another law being proposed by the EU which would make
> > the local caching of Web pages by ISP's effectively illegal (something
> > related to copyright IIRC).
>
> You're not copying it, you are storing and forwarding it.

I know, but obviously MEPs don't know what caching is, see below.

I've found the article now (PC World, May '99). Seems to be the
same bit of legislation:

	"Labour MEP Christine Oddy is trying to overturn a proposal
	that threatens to bring the Web to a standstill.

	Euro MPs voted to ban the unauthorized copying of material
	as it is being transmitted over the Internet. But the
	measure, part of a proposed directive on e-commerce, would
	have outlawed the caching of popular material on local
	servers to speed access and minimize network traffic.

	Oddy is to table an amendment to get around the problem.
	The move was welcomed by the European Internet Service
	Providers Association.

	A spokeman said: `I'm pretty sure that Euro MPs did not
	really know what they were doing. A definition of caching
	could undo some of the damage done in the vote on copyright'.

	Oddy also plans an amendment to restrict junk e-mail"

> I would really laugh if somone got a cease-and-desist order against
> British Telecom for storing voice mail without the permission of
> the caller, using such a law... not that I'm suggesting someone do
> this if the morons actually pass the law.

Nothing would surprise me.