Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:26:46 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few X questions (small X load for small drive needed)

On Saturday 26 June 2004 06:51, Joe Schmoe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just loaded XFree86-4 from the ports tree on my
> laptop, running 5.2.1-RELEASE.
>
> It took about 2.5 gigs of space to compile and add it
> all.
>
> Let's say I have a small hard drive in an old laptop,
> and let's also assume that I am just loading X to just
> have a simple GUI to run opera and terminal windows
> on, and don't need a big fancy X server or whatever
>
> What are some options I can add to the standard `make
> install` command for that port to significantly reduce
> the size of X ?

After it is installed you can remove all the .../work directories
in the ports tree. Or just start by installing from packages.

X itself is not all that big -- but beware the fancy(=bloated)
window-managers/desktops such as kde and gnome. If you want
something better than twm while remaing compact then blackbox and
fluxbox are often mentioned -- I use lesser known ctwm.

Malcolm