Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:41:29 -0500
From:      Christopher Weimann <cweimann@k12hq.com>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT - network sniffing - is this what I need?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:50:56AM -0800, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:

> I have a situation at work where we think we may need to do some network
> sniffing, packet
> tracing, something to figure out if one particular workstation's problems
> are caused by the
> network connection, hub, switch, nic, whatever.

You can run a sniffer on the BSD boxes but if you are using switches
rather than hubs on your network the BSD box won't be able ot hear
anything.  The easiest solution would be to run the sniffer on the
client machine and you are in luck since ethereal is available for
windows.

http://www.ethereal.com/

Your other choice is to hook the machine in question and the BSD box
up to a hub and connect that hub into your networks switch so the
BSD box can hear the the traffic.