Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:37:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@gesundheit.cs.twsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Changing networks frequently

 [ Note: please send me a CC of any reply; I am not yet subscribed to this
list. ]

Hello,

I have what I hope is a simple question.

I have an IBM Thinkpad 310ED (P133MMX) and have put FreeBSD 2.2.5 release
on it (works great; see below).  I also have a Linksys PCMCIA ethernet
"combo" card (does 10baseT and 10base2).  I will be using this machine in
at least two different network environments (different IP address,
netmask, nameservers, routers, etc.).

I have allocated an IP and hostname for the laptop in each environment.
To make things trickier, one of the networks (let's call it network A)
sits behind a firewall.

So, my question is: How do I easily reconfigure the laptop when switching
between these networks?  One thing I considered was to tar up all the
configs for each network and just untar the stuff into the root directory.
But that doesn't quite take care of everything.

The most tricky thing seems to be sendmail.  I am having a heck of a time
making it behave.  My situation is this: I only want to send mail out on
network A.  So I set the warn time to 7 days and the bounce time to 14
days on the laptop -- should be plenty of time to let me connect to
network A and run sendmail -q.

But -- network A is behind a firewall, and the hostname of the smart host
there is not resolvable anywhere else.  When I am on network B, sendmail
quickly bounces all the messages that are queued up, claiming that the
smart host doesn't exist because it couldn't look up its name.  This is a
rather puzzling thing and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.  (When
not connected to any network, it deferrs the message with a "no route to
host" indication, which is very good.  I just hook it up and run sendmail
-q to send the stuff.)

Thanks,
John