Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:32:50 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1 - Joke-only release ?  April Fools ??

>So the question is, has any person, anywhere, at any
>time, successfully installed 5.2.1-RELEASE on any
>hardware whatsoever ?  Or is it just a practical joke
>release ?

I'm not going to tell you again that the installation media is bad,
because everybody else said that already.

But something that I do wish to say is that I am wondering why it is
always the fault of the software, and not the person itself. I mean,
think about it, do you truely think a project like FreeBSD would release
software that is _that_ unstable? Thousands, ten thousands of people are
using it daily for their server or workstation needs. Aren't you going
to think then that it might be a problem which lies with you and not the
software?

Why don't we take our friend Bill's software for example? Starting from
Windows NT4, it has been a good operating system for both servers and
workstations. You can't say it's bad, because it's probably being
maintained by a bad system adminstrator then. It's the programs running
on Windows that can make it run bad (spyware, malware, viruses, bad
drivers, name it up). People always bash Microsoft for security
exploits, but FreeBSD and Linux people have to patch their machines as
well because of security exploits. Why don't they ever give a kick when
they have to patch their *nix machine, and they all blame, curse, troll
and flame on Microsoft and Windows, but we forget that Windows
developers are humans as well. Anyway, this is going too much offtopic.

Pardon my obvious frustration, but I am quite tired of people bashing
and trolling on software like this before they even think about their
problem.