Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:17:24 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cyberclops <Cyberclops@hawaii.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting to Run Level 5... typos, typos, typos...

On Friday 15 February 2002 04:57 pm, Bob Giesen wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2002 02:09 pm, Cyberclops wrote:
> > I just did a basic install of FreeBSD 4.5, and see that it is
> > different from Linux.  How would I get it to boot directly to KDM
> > in run level 5?
>
>    FBSD doesn't have run levels, but you can get kdm to start up on
> boot in at least a couple of ways:
>
> (1) just enter a line in /etc/rc.local (create the file if it's not
> already there) that starts the program, e.g.:
> /usr/local/bin/kdm
>
> or
> (2) decide which of your virtual terminals you want to dedicate to
> kdm and start it by putting the appropriate line in /etc/ttys.
>
>    Before doing either, I'd recommend running kdm from the command
> line, just to make sure it works before trying either of the above.

(redundant...)

> (In tgesting it from the command line, use the -nodaemon option if
> kdm offers it.)
>    Different users have different preferences and reasons for
> preferfing one method or the other.  I happen to run wdm from
> rc.local just because it (well, xdm, really) was suggested in Greg
> Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD," which I followed upon setting up my
> system and it's always worked for me without a problem.
>
> > Could you recommend a  good web site or book  that would go over
> > some of these basics?
>
>    It probably depends upon your comfort level w/ UNIX, et al.  I
> like Lehey's book (and still use it as a reference), but it assumes
> at least a UNIX knowledge on the part of the reader.  The FBSD
            ^-- little

> Handbook is also a good source of info.  I once read a good review
> on Anelise Anderson's book (who posts messages, here,
> occasionally).  I do recall that it was geared more to the
> less-experienced user -- but I don't recall it's title.  Maybe she
> or someone else who notices this will offer the title.  (I'm sure a
> search on her name at Borders or Amazon would turn it up.)

   I'm not 100% sure about the spelling of Ms. Anderson's name --
first or last.  I am pretty sure that I typo'd, though, and that it
is "Annelise Anderson."

--
"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be
understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But