Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:09:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "E. Alan Wilson" <alan.wilson@ualberta.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FEC from www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/fec/xxx/fec/tar/gz

--nO3oAMapP4dBpMZi

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:44:57PM -0600, E. Alan Wilson wrote:
> Hello
>  I have been directed to this code by several sources
> to enable my Intel dual port server card.  I got it.
> Now what?
>=20
> Does anyone know how frustrating it is for the newly arrived
> to run into this *complete* lack  of even the most BASIC instructions?

It's an experimental driver, therefore unsupported, and also why it's
not in the source tree yet.  Don't expect fairings.

> But every time I change OS's (there is always something about new
> hardware that won't work on what you're already familiar with) I
> am faced with a new set of 'old boy speak'.  Stuff that's taken
> for granted.  Documentation that is supplied is only for the easiest
> stuff and then it is too detailed.  It is the difficult things that
> need addressing and they are never written down.=20
>=20
> I am **SO** frustrated!!!!

Understandable, but that's the way the world works.  Just take it
easy, and ask lots of specific questions.

We have a large team of people who work on improving the already
considerable amount of documentation (e.g. the handbook, the FAQ and
the manpages), but there are always more questions than answers.
Perhaps you'll consider contributing to this documentation effort once
you get over the initial learning curve, to help future generations of
newbies.

Kris

--nO3oAMapP4dBpMZi

--nO3oAMapP4dBpMZi--