Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:36:09 -0230
From:      Paul David Fardy <pdfardy@mac.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DST vs. Cron = Burp

On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 07:29  AM, Matthias Andree wrote:
> "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>>> Since in most places the changeover to DST occurs at 0100, that
>>
>> In the U.S. it happens at 0200.
>
> Is there any country which switches from standard to daylight savings
> time at a different time than 02:00 (ante meridies, for those expecting
> 12-hour display)?

In North America, Daylight Savings Time is regulated regionally, by state
or province and occasionally cities/counties opt out. e.g. Indiana, see
http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html.

Here in Newfoundland, we shift at 12:01 am!  That's fine for NST -> NDT,
but the reverse:

    $ export TZ=:America/St_Johns
    $ perl -le 'for $i (-1..7) { print scalar localtime(1035685800 + $i *
10) }'
    Sat Oct 26 23:59:50 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:00 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:10 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:20 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:30 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:40 2002
    Sun Oct 27 00:00:50 2002
    Sat Oct 26 23:01:00 2002
    Sat Oct 26 23:01:10 2002

It's October 27 for a minute, then it goes back to October 26 for another
hour.
It's actually possible--though *extremely* unlikely--that a younger twin
will
have his or her birthday first! :-)

In 1988, we tried Double Daylight Savings (NDDT) and shifted by 2 hours.
That's
was great for a single college student[1], but it sucked for parents
trying to put
children to bed two hours before sunset.  I wonder why we didn't switch to
2 am
while we were revisiting the rules...

I believe at least one community refused to observe DDT.

BTW, BSD's zoneinfo is correct; Tru64 shifts at 2am. But since most people
don't
know the correct rules, I'm not sure which is POLA violation.

Paul
--
[1] Yeah, every other college student hated it! :-)
     For our ENL[2] readers, by "single", I mean independent. (Why didn't I