Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:39:39 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux GL libraries and nvidia drivers

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:20:57 +0200 (CEST) Alexander Best wrote:

> i'm not running any linux-dri* port at all since all of them come with their
> own libGL which i don't need because the nvidia driver provides that library.
> all i need is libGLU.so (linux version) because the nvidia driver doesn't
> supply that library.

OK. That was my misunderstanding. I thought that nvidia driver uses
its own libGL but needs other dri-* stuff. I have a look at some
ports which use nvidia driver and understand that nvidia driver
needs _only_ libGLU (better to say that those applications need
only libGLU along with nvidia driver). That's why I changed my
mind about linux libGLU port. It will be created.

> funny thing is that only the linux-dri* ports come with libGL.so. the native
> dri-* port doesn't include libGL.so and thus isn't colliding with the nvidia
> drivers.

Someone with better (then mine) uderstanding of dri* and GL* may
inverstigate current ports infrastructure and give a suggestion
on a better structure.

> your suggestion sounds good. if i understood you correctly you want to change
> the ports like this:

> - have a linux_dri port without libGL*
> - create a linux_libGL port
> - remove the linux-libGLU* ports

At least for now (before FreeBSD-8.0 release) I'll leave it as is.
With one exception: a new linux-f10-libGLU port (with apropriate
infrastructure) will be added.

> it would be nice if the linux_dri would feature some options which let's you
> chose which files you want to have installed. i personally don't need the Xorg
> modules or the binaries which come with the port. only libGLU.so.

> so how about the following options:

> xorg graphic card modules
> libglut
> libglade
> libexpat
> libdrm
> libGLU
> binaries

Good suggestion but I have no much time to do it.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve