Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:02:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Eric Dedrick <dedrick@dsl-146-127.resnet.purdue.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: linux compatability broken

Okay, we got it.  I had to run linux_base-6 and *not* any type of
linux_base (7.1) whatsoever.

Since it would appear that running linux_base-6 and linux_base(7.1) are
mutually exclusive (after all, they run non-compatable versions of glibc),
here's a question:  I have some software I can't upgrade (proprietary)
that requires linux_base-6.  If I install linux software from the ports,
is it going to require linux_base 7.1?

Here was the hangup:  In order to install linux_base-6, svr4.ko had to be
unloaded from the kernel.  Once linux_base-6 was installed, svr4.ko could
be loaded again and things still worked just fine.  At least that's what I
think the solution was.

At any rate, I can run my linux binaries now, though I am still somewhat
dis-satisfied.  Why do things break under 7.1 and not 6?

Again, thanks for the help guys.