Date:      03 Jul 1999 19:58:47 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Jim Mock <jim@advocacy.FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash Screens (was Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback)

Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net> writes:
> Ok, I didn't know what to do with:
>
>      include /boot/loader.4th
>      start
>
> which were already in this file, so I commented them out.  I was lucky.

They're not much use unless you want to use loader.conf (loader.4th
reads loader.conf and does magic stuff as directed by variables
defined there, much like /etc/rc does magic stuff as directed by
/etc/rc.conf)

> So I went splash shopping.

I use the Saturn pics myself, though for some mysterious reason
they're not on the advocacy site. They're by far the best splash
screens I've seen, as they were designed specifically for that purpose
(rather than just being *adapted* to that purpose). I think they're on
John Baldwin's site (there's a link from the advocacy page), but I
can't get through to it right now so I can't check.

> One more question.  The VESA module: what mode does it decide to switch to?
> Does it pick the first 8bpp palettized VESA mode registered which is bigger
> than the pic?  Will it switch up to modes like 1280x1024, if registered
> with VESA?  Just curious.

The VESA module doesn't switch to anything or make any decisions. The
splash decoders behave slightly differently: the BMP decoder picks the
largest available mode (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 320x200) while the
PCX decoder picks the smallest available mode which is large enough to
accomodate the picture. (I want the BMP decoder to go away, but it
seems to be too well-anchored for that right now, though it suffers
from slight bitrot because I don't maintain it actively)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no