Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:00:04 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a system which will boot it and
also Windows 2000 Server. I've done this with two multiboot utilities:
the simple boot manager that comes with FreeBSD and V Communications'
System Commander.

In both cases, I have found that when I install FreeBSD it corrupts
neighboring NTFS and FAT partitions. After the install, the OSes in these
partitions fail to boot or the partitions become entirely unreadable.
Whether I tell FreeBSD not to install an MBR or whether I tell it to
install its boot manager, the result is the same: Neighboring partitions
are being corrupted to the point where one can not get to data on them.

I realize that dual booting is not common, but I need to do it on this
laptop. Has anyone else on the lists encountered this problem?

--Brett Glass