Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:40:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Jason Terlecki <JTERLECKI@team.look.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting Bandwidth

Jason Terlecki wrote to freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Good day,
>
> Anyone have an idea how I could limit how much bandwidth specific
> users can use off a shell.  I want to make sure normal users dont use
> up all the bandwidth, while staff and specific users could use more.

You probably won't be able to do this with ipfw(8) and the traffic shaper
alone, because you want to restrict bandwidth by user or group.  Most
traffic filters/shapers work at the IP level.  They have no notion of
users or groups, nor should they.

HOW do you actually want to restrict the bandwidth?  For a shell?  You'll
need to tell us more about your situation and what you want to accomplish.
There may be an easier way to do what you set out to.

Shooting in the dark, here:  As a general approach, maybe you could try
setting up a couple of network interfaces--and you can probably accomplish
this on a single machine.  Give staff/specific users a different hostname
to connect to than normal users, and bind different login servers to each
address.  Allow only staff to log in to one, and do not limit
incoming/outgoing traffic to/from that host.  Give normal users access to
the other host, but limit bandwidth on that address as you see fit.

> Regards,
>
> Jason Terlecki
>
> .

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon