Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:18:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kblob discussion.

> Actually, I think I'm looking at a *bigger* picture - what can we do to
> make FreeBSD a better platform for real-world applications?

For a very common application, yes.  WWW serving is not FreeBSD's strong
point, IMO.

As a matter of fact, I'd venture to guess that FreeBSD is used in more
embedded systems as a 'network' platform than it's ever used as a WWW
server.

However, it just so happens that recently it seems that Yahoo has been
pushing *HARD* for alot of WWW-server specific changes, that have little
usefulness outside of that specific application.

> The ability to send static content in the most efficient manner possible
> is a key "big picture" item.  You're so tied up in what would be the most
> wonderful engineering solution that you're completely ignoring this.

You're so wrapped up with building WWW server that you've completely
ignored the rest of the developer community, who actually have needs for
something *more generic* that you're incapable of seeing the forest
since you've gotta cut down that one tree fast, and who gives a rip what
anyone else needs to do in the forest...

Nate