Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 09:18:55 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Ghulam Dastgir" <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP

> Hi,
> I've been suffering...I mean, having problems, simply to get my FBSD =
> (ver 2.2.6) box to talk to my modem AND successfully dialup my ISP =
> (Force 9 in the UK in this case). Before I say anything more, I am =

That's who I use :-)  Unfortunately they never responded when I sent
them ppp configuration info for their web pages (they've got Linux
information there).

> presently using an INTERNAL Rockwell 56Kbps Voice Fax Modem.
> Firstly, do you think my problems lie with my modem being an internal =
> device rather than being an external device as is usually recommended =
> for Unix machines in general.
> If the modem is the problem here I don't mind going out and getting an =
> external one.

The modem *should* be ok.  Given that it's not a winmodem....

> If you think the modem is OK then I'll carry on. Please find attached my =
> ppp.conf, ppp.linkup and ppp.log files (don't worry if filenames appear =
> truncated as I'm using this shitty O/S called Windows for the email !!).
> In the ppp.conf file the "dial" may look like it's typed across 2 lines, =
> it's not really.
>
> Oh another thing when I do ifconfig tun0, I get:
>     tun0: flags=3D8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

The most suspicious thing in your config is the 4 second timeout talking
to your modem, but this is *exactly* the same as my dial string :-)
I'm using a USR 33.6k Sportster.

How about enabling chat logging (``set log +chat'') ?

One other thing.  Although they don't really mention it much (I
haven't looked in some time though), Force9 support PAP/CHAP logins,
so you can ``set authname'' and ``set authkey'' and do away with the
``set login''.  This seems to be far more reliable - I found at one
point that if you leave the ``set login'' there, they sometimes
demand PAP/CHAP authentication anyway, then subsequently fail your
authentication....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>