Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 05:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (Hopefully) A simple routing question

Hopefully for most of you this will be an easy routing question.  I don't
know why it's got me stumped, but it does.  Heres the situation:

               +------+       +------+
Internet <---> | ppp0 |       |      |
               | ix0  | <-H-> | ix0  |
               +------+       +------+
                Box A          Box B

In the simple diagram above, BoxA serves as the link to the outside world
via interface ppp0.  BoxA and BoxB are connected via a hub by a couple
ix0 interfaces.

The situation is this, BoxB:ix0 can see BoxA:ix0, and can even see the
Internet (when net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 on BoxA).  But, it cannot see
interface BoxA:ppp0.  BoxA:ppp0, BoxA:ix0, and BoxB:ix0 are all part of
the same network, ip address wise (x.y.z.49, x.y.z.50, and x.y.z.51
respectively).

Here's BoxA's routing table:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            joplin.aa.net      UGSc       57       36      ppp0
localhost          localhost          UH          2      271       lo0
ws2                0:aa:0:3a:85:7a    UHLW        0       22       lo0
ws3                0:aa:0:17:39:cb    UHLW        4   156100       ix0    682

And here's BoxB's:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            ws2                UGSc        2        5       ix0
localhost          localhost          UH          0      116       lo0
204.137.132.48/28  link#2             UC          0        0
ws2                0:aa:0:3a:85:7a    UHLW        7   179533       ix0   1195
ws3                0:aa:0:17:39:cb    UHLW        0        4       lo0

Given this information, it seems that I somehow need to tell BoxA:ix0 to
pass all the packets it doesn't know what to do with to BoxA:ppp0.  I
can't, however, figure out what route line does it.  Everything I've
tried has either destroyed the arp mapping of the ethernet interfaces, or
just plain not worked.

Any pointers appreciated.  This one seems like it should be easy.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                        Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                     Powered by FreeBSD )