Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:16:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, ambrisko@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/8183

:>     I wonder... does exec() clear blocked signals?  I assumed it did.
:>     Anyone know for sure?
:
:It does not.  manpage for signal(3):
:
:     When a process which has installed signal handlers forks, the
:     child process inherits the signals.  All caught signals may be
:     reset to their default action by a call to the execve(2) function;
:     ignored signals remain ignored.
:
:Note that this affects any background program run via "nohup" also.  If
:you run "nohup program &", don't expect to be able to kill -HUP it
:	-Dan Nelson
:	dnelson@emsphone.com

    man page for execve.  blocked signals definitely remain blocked.  oops!

    Signals set to be ignored in the calling process are set to be ignored in
    the new process. Signals which are set to be caught in the calling pro-
    cess image are set to default action in the new process image.  Blocked
    signals remain blocked regardless of changes to the signal action.  The
    signal stack is reset to be undefined (see sigaction(2) for more informa-
    tion).

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)