Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:39:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Shahoff <andrew@ardi.lv>, fallous <fallous@warped.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum troubles

On Thursday, 25 October 2001 at  1:50:15 +0200, Andrew Shahoff wrote:
> I have 3 HDD ,
> first one SCSI as system drive ( da0s1* ) and two 20GB IDE drives formates
> as ad0s1h and ad2s1h ). I need mirror only IDE but
>
> vi  mirror.conf
>
> drive a device /dev/ad0s1h
> drive b device /dev/ad2s1h
>
>  volume mirror setupstate
>    plex org concat
>      sd length 0 drive a
>    plex org concat
>      sd length 0 drive b
>
> and ooooops... :(
>
>    1: drive a device /dev/ad0s1h
> ** 1 : Invalid argument
>    2: drive b device /dev/ad2s1h
> ** 2 : Invalid argument

What kind of partition are these?  They should be of type vinum.  What
does disklabel /dev/ad0s1 say?

On Wednesday, 24 October 2001 at 16:05:30 -0700, fallous wrote:

> you need to man vinum and actually look at what you're doing
> regarding length.

What does this have to do with length?NN

> here's an example of my vinum.conf, which is 2 drives striped with
> no mirroring
>
> drive a device /dev/da1e
> drive b device /dev/da2e
>
> volume stripec
> plex org striped 512b

This should not be a power of 2.  That will slow down inode
operations.

> sd length 17500m drive a
> sd length 17500m drive b

Apart from that, the config file looks fine.  So does Andrew's.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.