Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:48:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Wai Chan <waichan@hpu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail configuration

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 10:06:00PM -1000, Wai Chan wrote:
> sendmail seems to be using the following command:
>
> mail from: username@abc.com
> instead of:
> mail from: username@hostname.abc.com
>
> I get the prompt (220 hostname.abc.com ...) when I
> "telnet hostname.abc.com 25"
>
> I would like to username@hostname.abc.com.  I would appreciate it if
> someone could throw me some pointoers on configuring sendmail.  Thank
> you in advance.

There is no need to reconfigure sendmail for using a different envelope
address (i.e. mail from:).  You can set up your mail user agent (Mutt,
in my case), to pass the -f option to sendmail with the address you want
your mail to appear as originating from.

I have in my ~/.muttrc:

    set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi -f keramida@ceid.upatras.gr"

and that pretty much takes care of changing the envelope address for me.

Note though that, if you are not a `trusted' used of sendmail, i.e. one
that is allowed to use the -f option by your sysadmin, your messages
will all have an X-Authentication_Warning header added automagically by
sendmail.  To avoid this, you can edit your sendmail.cf and add your
username to the trusted users (class "T").  By default my sendmail.cf
had the following lines:

    #####################
    #   Trusted users   #
    #####################

    Troot
    Tdaemon

Add another line with your local username, in this class, something
like:

    Troot
    Tdaemon
    Tgiorgos

and you will no longer see those annoying X-Authentication-Warning
headers added automatically, because you used the -f option.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public key: finger keramida@ceid.upatras.gr