Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 13:48:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

John Fieber writes:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, J Wunsch wrote:
>
>> 'cause fewer and fewer people know how to use a keyboard.
>>
>> That's why kindergarten icon games like winloose have the reputation
>> of being ``user-friendly''.
>
> It has nothing to do with typing ability.  It has everything to
> do with the basic fact that humans are far better at
> recognition than recall.  Recall may be more efficient, but only
> comes after a great time investment in memorization.  For
> infrequent users, or infrequent tasks, recall will never be as
> efficient as recognition.

While I agree with this, I'm not sure it's relevant.

> Unix systems trivialize recognition enabled interfaces, Windows,
> and to a greater degree Mac, trivialize recall enabled
> interfaces.  A vast majority of the computing market has made it
> pretty clear that if a compromise must be made, it will be in
> favor of recognition.

No doubt about that.  However, we're looking at a different problem
here.  There's no conflict between a touch-typist's keyboard and a
hunt-and-pecker's keyboard.  The touch-typist looks for positions, the
hunt-and-pecker looks for the keycaps (that's why they're reverting to
ideograms like this Microsoft key for people who can't read).  There's
absolutely *no* reason to put a switch like CapsLock where it can be
used in conjunction with other keys.  Equally, there's absolutely *no*
reason to put keys like the F keys where it's difficult to use them in
conjunction with other keys.  I believe even Microslop uses things
like Alt-F4, don't they?  How does a touch typist do that on one of
these "ergonomic" keyboards?

> It is important enough that people will put up with cheesy operating
> systems that crash on a regular basis if that is the only way to get
> it.

People put up with Microslop because they're uneducated, not because
it's the only way to get recognition-based user interfaces.

I think the real problem we have at the moment is that the computer
market is no longer technology-driven: it's market driven instead.
Why did they change the keyboard layout to put the F keys up the top
again?  Some marketeer decided it would sell better that way.  You can
bet he can't type.

BTW, what does this Microslop key do?

Greg