Date:      15 Nov 2001 14:59:11 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

> Others have mentioned Sony, and they are incredible monitors. If you
> go to the really large ones, you get some artifacting from the wires
> inside the tube that help it maintain shape; this annoys some people
> no end, while others have to hunt to see it at all.

I had one annoy me on my work desk for several years.  "Some
artifacting" is too generous and, IIRC, I've seen the problem on
small Sony CRTs too.  Mine was 19-20"; not 21".

All Triniton (ie, Sony) monitors used to have two horizontal row of
reduced-brightness pixels dividing the screen into thirds.  They were
said to be the result of electron-beam shadows from wires which kept the
shadow mask against the screen.  On a white/light screen (like the light
gray editing window I normally had on the screen), you'd see two very
noticable gray lines across the screen.  It was occasionally handy for
use as a horizontal rule to check alignment of stuff.  I've never
understood why so many people were willing to accept such a design flaw
in monitors for which they usually pay a premium price.  Actually, I
suppose most people like their bright colors more than they dislike
their lines.

In any event, look at your monitor carefully before buying it, with
a variety of screen content.