Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:42:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Subject:   RE: making freebsd known to the world

* Ted Mittelstaedt [2005-03-31 01:45 -0800]
>  > but why is FreeBSD never
>  > listed on websites of third party applications like firefox?
>  > In this directory I can't find a FreeBSD package for example.
>  > http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/contrib/
>  >

>  Have you ever built firefox?  It requires about 28 ports or so that
>  are not in the base FreeBSD install, at least for version 4.11, and
>  that is for the native version of it.  And many of these are GPL
>  so you are just adding trouble for BSD users who need a system they
>  can use as a base for a commercial product - the last thing they want
>  to discover is their app linked into some GPL library.
>
>  If the Linux distributors want to bloat their base systems for every
>  3rd party application that comes along that is fine.

I think you misunderstood. Noone is asking to add firefox (or any other
third-party application) to the base system. I think the OP is asking the
FreeBSD community to put some pressure on third-party vendors to make
freebsd-packages available on their websites. This way the word "FreeBSD"
would be mentioned and hopefully noticed.

To the OP, I can only say that I might agree, but this is really up to the
vensors if they see it profitable or otherwise advantegous to do so. Opera
for instance, are marketing their support for FreeBSD.

However, I stand by Ted's advice to ask this in the advocacy mailing list.

Svein Halvor