Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 20:53:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rene@freeze.iaf.nl
Subject:   Re: ISDN troubles: it now works

As Wolfgang Helbig wrote...

[del]

> > It looks like that if you want to use the address negotiation you need
> > to patch the above in /sys/bisdn/b_isdnipp.c If you don't the connection
> > is broken ('disco') on every attempt to dial. Dial is ok, and then
> > during the re-setup with the assigned addresses (I guess..) the connection
> > is dropped.
> >
> > Since I'm not an expert on this stuff I appreciate knowledgable insight/
> > comments on why the #if 0 are there and why patch to the ioctl is needed.
>
> Probably because the original patchers never believed that isdnpppd
> would stay around that long. It was really meant to be a quick fix
> to enable ppp functions in bisdn (for NetBSD). Since Dec 1st 1996
> we happily received the first success message about a working
> isdnpppd connection from Andrew Gordon. Soon after that we had the
> dynamic addressing stuff working by reenabling the ifdef'ed code
> and applying a patch similar to the one above.

Right. It seems we re-invented the same wheel here :)

> On the ftp.muc.ditec.de server there are two tarballs--bisdntest
> and bisdntest-2. They contain all kernel files and diffs to ease
> bisdn(ppp) kernel modification in a -current environment. They

Our system does not run -current, it is intended as a workhorse doing
web proxying and firewalling for a small network of 6 Suns and 6 PCs.

> AFAIK bisdntest works well for FreeBSD 2.2.1 and bisdntest-2 is o.k
> for FreeBSD 2.2.2. (You'll have to copy bisdn-ioctl.h and

Well, I think I'll stick to what I have now, there were already
people anxiously awaiting for the return of the Internet link.

> Glad to hear that bisdn works for you with PPP and dynamic IP adresses!

Thanks.

(stupid question: will this whole ISDN/ppp thing be really integrated into
-current one time? So that it ends up on a release cd sometime? As noted,
I'm not an expert on this stuff so I don't feel qualified to do it myself)

Wilko