Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:39:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, koitsu@FreeBSD.ORG, kevin@insidesystems.net, brooks@FreeBSD.ORG, joao@matik.com.br
Subject:   Re: Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

Brooks Davis wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
 > > > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > > FWIW, I still use alias/-alias.  Mainly because that's what has
 > > > existed historically, and the term "alias" is what is used in
 > > > reference to rc.conf ifconfig_iface_aliasX entries.
 > >
 > > Maybe it would make sense to remove "alias" from the rc.conf
 > > entries and simply number them.
 >
 > ipv4_addrs_<interface> is a much better replacement IMO.  It's easy to
 > use and doesn't required the hackish pseudo array traversal used by
 > ifconfig_iface_aliasX.

That might work for simple cases, but how do you specify
other parameters beside the IPs if you need to?

I agree that the array traversal is somewhat hackish, but
at least it works and provides a way to set all ifconfig
parameters that you need.

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
        -- Robert Firth