Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:58:08 -0800
From:      Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Throttling ethernet throughput

I sent this out on the postfix-users list, and they suggested the *only*
way to handle this at the operating systems level.  I can see their point.

I'm on a cable modem service which has 1.5M download and strangled 128K
upload.  When I send a a fairly large attachment to a lot of recipients,
my MTA attempts to deliver to many recipients in parallel, causing my
outbound throughput to approach damn near zero.  Now, I can limit the
number of simultaneous smtp connections that Postfix attempts, but this is
not a guarantee that a fast receiver will still manage to consume all of my
available bandwidth.

Some list members suggested dummynet(4).  However this requires the use if
ipfw and friends of which I'm not really familiar.  Is this the only way to
do this?  I am not using FreeBSD as a firewall.  It is a peer on a local
network with the gateway being a Linksys firewall/router.

Thanks,

-Clint
--
Clint Olsen                                                        . -- .
clint at NULlsen dot net                                         .'  ,-. `.