Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:35:35 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS - Summary?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:11:55AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> I don't think every country should should maintain their CC domain
> space.  If that country requires to maintain too much sites,
> delegation seems good way.  But if they has only one ftp and one cvsup
> mirrors, passing this to dnsadm@FreeBSD.org would reduce unstability
> of our DNS (just IMHO).

The only wrinkle I can think of here is who would then decide if a
new site should come or go, or check up on a site in that zone if
a random net user complains the site vanished.

The options I can think of:

	1) dnsadm@ (my guess is they don't want it but I can't ask).
	2) the first entity that appears inside a new CC becomes
	   the zone's administrative contact but dnsadm@ handles
	   the nameservice on their behalf.
	3) Someone volunteers to perform this role for any CC that
	   can't handle their own DNS.  They become the zone contact
	   but (unless this volunteer can also supply their own DNS
	   server too) they handle the actual updates by asking dnsadm@
	   to do it.
	4) As someone else suggested - we recruit existing admins of
	   delegated zones to handle the new CC in addition to their
	   own.

I'm sure there are more options...  The easiest is probably (4).

They also would be "entering" by having noticed there is no existing
admin structure for their country code, and taking the next step
described in the manual which is send mail to hubs@.  Whoever is
responsible for taking care of their email will need to fit into
this somewhere.  You make the most sense because they probably
needed access to ftp-master.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu