Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:47:42 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: consequences of migrating to maildir storage system

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003, Eric W. Bates wrote:

>Anyone have unfortunate experiences as a consequence of converting mail
>storage from flat file (mbox) to maildir? I'm concerned that the increase
>in the number of files might cause problems with replication (we use
>rsync), backup or even just running out of inodes.

How long is a rope?

We've been using Maildir with courier-imap on some reasonably large systems
with excellent results.  Of course one must be sure that the file system(s)
involved have sufficient capacity to handle the expected load.

Maildir has been very effective at ISPs where customers may not be checking
their mail, or otherwise have rather ancient stores.  If the ISP's policy
states that mail older than N days will be removed, then a simple find can
clean out the old mail:

	find /home/*/Maildir -type f -mtime +$N | xargs rm

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``the purpose of government is to reign in the rights of the people''
    -Bill Clinton during an interview on MTV in 1993