Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13442: docproj-primer does not mention where to get docbook extensions

The following reply was made to PR docs/13442; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: efrias@sg505.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:24:43 +0100

 On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 10:31:36AM -0700, efrias@sg505.net wrote:
 > Chapter 4 of Docproj-primer mentions using the FreeBSD extensions to DocBook,
 > "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.1-Based Extension//EN", but never mentions
 > where to find these.  The extensions were not installed as part of the
 > textproj/docproj port, and it was not obvious where to find them.

 Ah.  That's because they're not in any port, they're part of the FreeBSD
 Documentation Project tree, which is the doc/ directory tree.

 I'm loathe to pull them out of there, because then

   a) other members of the FDP can't commit changes to them as necessary.

   b) we lose the publically visible CVS commit log and diffs as they
      are altered.

 This could, presumably be fixed by either updating the documentation to
 say this, or create a freebsd-docbook port that just grabs the files from
 wcarchive, or similar, and splats them in to the right place in the
 directory tree.

 However, the FDP would still use the ones in doc/share/sgml.

 Thoughts?

  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
  the links.
     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>