Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:30:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   biord and sbwait state of postgresql process

Hi folks,

I'm running a application where I create multiple
(300+) textfiles out of a postgresql database. The
first 160 loops go perfectly but the suddenly the
process of the app gets the state biord at certain
point in the procedure.

Then the WCPU column in the top command goes almost to
0% and also the CPU utilization drops to a few %.
Normally both these values were showing values in the
80 and 90 range. The process stays here a few minutes
(always at a certain point in the procedure) and runs
very slowly but after all recovers. Then everything
goes back to normal, and the process gets its state
RUN again. The WCPU increases again to it's old values
as does the CPU utilization but then my app goes back
in another loop and starts degrading again.

After I have cancelled the process, the postgres
process still continues but now with a sbwait state.

What does this mean? So, what is happening here? How
can the performance degrade like that? And why always
at the same step in the algorithm?

Hope someone can help me out.

Ooh yeah,
I did some tweaks:

sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=402653184
sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmall=16384

I have an amd64 3000+ system with 1GB ram and a SATA
harddisk running freebsd 6.0 release-p5.

Thanks in advanced
Dino