Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 06:53:29 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        richard@harlequin.co.uk (Richard Brooksby)
Cc:        jfieber@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Handbook question: Boot Process

> I read the section on the boot process with great interest.  I realize it's
> unfinished, but I wonder if you could answer a few questions.
>
> Dosboot sounds useful, especially since Windows 95 doesn't like biosboot.
> Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere.  (I found winboot in the xperiment
> directory.)  Can you tell me where to find it?

I belive its in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/dosboot

> I'd like to know _how_ the kernel finds a root filesystem.  How to I
> configure or parameterize it to use the various root filesystems you
> mention?  I am particularly interested in booting from CDROM or MFS.

Well, this is tricky, you basically need to modify the kernel-source
to do what you want.  There are #ifdef's but I cannot remember them
all.  Try:

	grep root /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/*.c

And start from there...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Just that: dried leaves in boiling water ?