Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:18:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More than 6 partitions on one slice?

Your MUA wraps incorrectly.

On Friday,  7 December 2001 at  8:30:58 +0600, Eugene Panchenko wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:56:22 +1030
>  Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> On Friday,  7 December 2001 at  7:06:01 +0600, Eugene Panchenko wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I've never had a need before, but I thought that there are only
>>> a-h partitions, that is, 6 (b and c are not quite legal) of them
>>> can be on a slice.  Is this true?  Is there any way to increase
>>> this limit?  Thank you for your help!
>>
>> Well, I have my doubts that you have a need now, but
>> firstly you can
>> use b if you want, and if that's not enough (which it
>> surely is), and
>
> I'm afraid that I can't use b since it's my swap...

OK, but in general this works.

>> if you're using a PC, you can create 4 slices in
>> Microsoft partitions
>
> I've already have used up all 4 partitions for QNX, NetBSD,
> MSDOS622 (yeah, I admit), and, of course, FreeBSD :)

OK, but in general this works.

>> and put 7 partitions in each, for a total of 28 partitions.  If you
>> think even that isn't enough, you can make the whole disk a Vinum
>> drive and create as many volumes as you like.
>
> Hmm... While browsing though the sources I have found that
> MAXPARTITIONS=8 is #defined in /usr/include/sys/disk*.h.  Can I
> change it and not be afraid that it will render my box dead??
> Exactly what steps/precautions should I take to safely change it,
> and what programs to I have to recompile afterwards, and what device
> nods to create? :)

There are a large number of reasons why this won't work.  The most
obvious one is the question of device nodes: the minor number only has
three bits for the partition number, so it wouldn't work.  You'd be
better off with the Vinum solution.

I still have difficulty believing you need this many partitions.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.