Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:44:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Marko Ruban <marko@tellurian.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing issue with cable modem

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Marko Ruban wrote:

> I tried replicating my windows routing table in freebsd.
> Only one entry didn't work... (guess)
> "route add default 10.17.56.xx"
>
> I'm cursed !

	My guess guess would be your DHCP client is not working right.
	Is it suppose to be using DHCP?  Is it really something else like
	PPPoE?

	You see, the problem is not that the network is unreachable.  It
	is that the default network is not DIRECTLY reachable.  This is a
	violation of basic routing principles...although many devices work
	with that setup (Windows,Cisco,etc).  FreeBSD does not allow you
	to add a default route to a network that is not directly
	connected.

	Why don't you dump your windows routing table `route -print` to
	the list and we could put together a routing table for you or see
	what is acutally going on.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.