Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 11:22:49 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Bill Barnes <bbarnes@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ports via FTP

> Here's the configuration I might use.
> Login as non-root
> In screen 1 connect to my ISP and in the same screen execute Netscape
> In screen 2 (for comfort) bring up xterm and su, ftp
> Now I can browse, email, whatever while the ftp process does its
thing.

> Hence, I am connected to a trusted machine and who knows what else.
That
> sounds like my ftp connection is exposed thru the browser connections.=

 But
> isn't the ftp connection exposed to an intruder anyway.

> Hope I don't appear too dense hear but I haven't the foggiest about
cracker
> technology.

> Bill Barnes

Dear Bill Barnes,

I seem to understand you are speaking of your homebox.

If that is the case, you may wish to disable **all** unnecessary
services in /etc/rc.conf (sendmail, portmap, etc.); if you run X, you
might want to issue "startx [...] -- -nolisten tcp". This may be a
very simple/simplistic method, but it allows you to surf the 'Net with
a reasonable degree of security -- until you get to know a little more
about services & security (cf security(7), handbook, etc.)

'netstat -an' will tell you which ports are open (LISTEN). As you can
imagine, an open port ~ a possible means of attack for a cracker.
Personally, I would advise you to configure a (stateful) packet filter
(man ipfw or man ipf): there is a tutorial on the FreeBSD web site
(tutorials section), which is an excellent starting point.

Next, you may wish to install e.g. nmap (via the port in
/usr/ports/security/nmap), connect to the Internet, and ... scan
yourself (ie feed nmap with your dynamic IP).

You should probably get something like "host seems down" if you have
closed all holes, and installed a (stateful) firewall. So far so good.

Then you will want to run 'nmap -P0' and wait until it completes (it
may even take half an hour). If you are told no ports are open (e.g.
all ports are filtered), you can **begin** to feel a little more
confortable ...

Since it is a homebox, you might want to configure a kernel with
TCP_DROP_SYNFIN (against OS fingerprinting), TCP_RESTRICT_RST,
ICMP_BANDLIM options (one never knows). Once you are done, 'nmap -O
your_dynamic_IP' will not easily detect your OS.

I hope this helps just a bit,
Salvo

P.S. hacker (constructive connotations) !=3D cracker (destructive
connotations)