Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 15:55:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David C. Snyder" <dsnyder@web.turner.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing without VGA or Keyboard

Hello,

I would like to install FreeBSD from CD-ROM onto servers using only
the serial port (i.e., no VGA or keyboard).  I was surprised to find
that the default installation ISO image does not support this by
default.

I customized the image slightly by grafting in a /boot.config
containing "-P" onto the CD image, but the boot loader on the CD
seemed to ignore that.  My third attempt involved adding "set
console=comconsole" to /boot/loader.rc on the CD.  That didn't work
either, so I'm in the middle of testing a /boot/loader.conf.local that
contains "console=comconsole".

As I write this, another thought crossed my mind.  Perhaps I should be
adding this stuff to the /floppies/boot.img image instead of /boot on
the CD.  I'll try that next, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love
to hear them.  Thanks.

David C. Snyder
CNN - Internet Technologies
Desk:   404 827 1679             Nextel ID:  46
Cell:   770 616 0080             Pager:  david_snyder@imcingular.com