Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:55:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        newton@internode.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial boot prompt messages and a modem

In article <19991222133015.B13504@internode.com.au> you write:
>On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 05:38:35PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, last time I checked, they were just 'serial ports'.
> >
> > Nope.  The significance is determined by the software, and you're stuck
> > with the fact that the first serial port is the console port.  End of
> > story.  (Note: if we don't make some assumption about which port will be
> > the console, how do you expect the software to work out which one it
> > "should" use?)
>
>Insist that consoles be cabled-in with "real" cables, and use the first
>port we find with DCD asserted as the console, falling back to COM1 if
>we can't find any ports with DCD (indicating that someone has failed to
>follow our cabling insistence)

Btw.  I just came across a 'null modem cable' that connects DCD to:
nothing!  It connects DTR to DSR but _not_ to DCD... other than that the
wiring appears to be normal.  Well, so i hacked an `altpin' flag into
sio that lets me swap the functions of DSR and DCD.  (Anyone thinks
that would be worth cleaning up and send-pr'ing?)

 And a happy new year to everyone...
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)