Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:12:30 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, brett@peloton.runet.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jcwells@u.washington.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

At 12:53 AM 10/9/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Which is really belied by Tim's company's own actions, with
>regard to publication of Linux vs. BSD materials, IMO.
>
>This is a situation where he publically holds one opinion, but
>acts in contravention of that opinion.

O'Reilly tends to jump on, and ride, bandwagons after the
bandwagons get going.

They do NOT push the bandwagon, even though they would be
very effective in that role.

As a result, they're not super-enthusiastic about FreeBSD
titles. They do not seem convinced that they'd get the same ROI
from a general FreeBSD book as they would from even a "niche"
Linux book.

I've been campaigning to do a FreeBSD book for them, but I
do not sense much enthusiasm. My last e-mail, containing a
proposal that they solicited, has not yet been answered.

--Brett