Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:53:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> types:
> 	I'll throw in my dime's worth and suggest that every `info'
> 	page be turned into a man-style page with hyperlinks.  If
> 	hyperlinks (and space) been available 25 years ago, every
> 	manual entry would've had links.  Another think the man
> 	pages would've had is examples.  The reason man pages were
> 	so terse was that disk space was extremely costly.

Gee, and I thought it was because programmers hated writing
documentation. I know I do. In fact, someone here (wasn't it here)
recently provided a pointer to an AT&T page on Unix history, wherein
one specific person was creditied with making sure that all programs
on Unix had man pages - and even to getting some programs rewritten to
be up to the standards for the man pages.

Now disk space being costly may well be why the original Unix man
pages weren't formated, but kept on disk in nroff form and formatted
when you read them.

	<mike