Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:06:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>, Peter <peterk@americanisp.net>, Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix vs. Sendmail

Peter <peterk@americanisp.net> types:
> While we are on the subject of sendmail, what if I do not have that
> installed but I have some programs [ie crond] that use sendmail by
> default, can I just make a link from sendmail to say qmail/postfix?  Or
> would that still mess up/confuse the program?

FreeBSD has solved this problem for any MTA that provides a sendmail
command API. You edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf so it points at that MTAs
version of sendmail (and mailq, and newaliases, for that matter), and
the binaries installed where programs look for
sendmail/mailq/newaliases will do the right thing.

Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> types:
> Postfix, because it took less than an hour to build, install, and
> configure.

That's pretty much why I use qmail. Of course, postfix wasn't out of
beta when I switched.

Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net> types:
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, gaurdian gaurdian wrote:
> > Does postfix use the same /var/mail/ scheme as sendmail ?
> It's flexible and can use either mbox or Maildir format.

I think you answered the wrong question (but I don't have the answer
to the right one). Qmail puts binaries, man pages, etc into
/var/mail. The port claims that it can be installed in ${LOCALBASE}
instead, but I've not been able to convince that to work
properly. This is a different issue from the mailbox format. After
all, qmail can deliver either to a maildir or to a berkeley mbox.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.