Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:01:28 +0100
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Geoffroy RIVAT <ml@geoffroy.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: providing web based DNS management to customers

On 29/4/09 11:24, Michael DeMan wrote:
> Hi, seems close but I'm not sure if it hits the target.
>
> What I need is the ability for customers to be able to login and
> update entries within a zone.  More specifically, the ability to allow
> customers to update their -in-addr.arpa reverses based on us
> allocating them things like /29.s
>
> I may be crusty here too, but to the best of my knowledge, it is
> impossible break below /24 at the 'zone' level in reverse DNS.  Or at
> least the tools we use do not allow that.

Its possible but a bit of a hack, RFC2317 shows how to do it, basicly
CNAME the initial reverse record, then in the domain its pointed to by
the cname setup a PTR record. It potentially could solve your problem
but would take some setup time. (you have to setup the initial cname,
then the customer can have control of the (sub)domain its pointed to and
can change the ptr at will.) We used it a fair bit at a previous job to
delegate CIDR networks < /24 to customer nameservers.

Vince