Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:40:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system full

> From: "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 07:12:27 GMT, Adam Hefetz wrote:
> >After I log in and startx I get messages on xterm looking like this:
> >Jun 18 10:00:09 hefetz /kernel.old: pid 265 (panel), uid 0 on /usr: file
> >system full
> In case you are not familiar with it.. check  "du" to help you
> find the utilization in different directories.
> I would first try "du -d 1 /usr". This would give you a report
> of the top most level of /usr.

You might as well get everything at once. Do

	du -a -x /usr | sort -rn | tee /tmp/usr-space

and it will list every file and directory on the /usr file system,
sorted by the space contained in the file or directory. It also stores
a copy in /tmp/usr-space for future reference.  This makes it easy to
find the largest unneeded files, or the trees that can be moved to
another file system (symlinks are you friend).

	<mike