Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:48:25 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make/SIGINT (Re: cvs commit: src/bin/sh jobs.c)

In <199805221609.CAA04233@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >> I'm not happy with most of the patches.  Even the tiny newline fix
> >> in the signal handler doesn't work quite right.
> >
> >I assume you mean the fix to mkdep. Please take in mind that this
> >particular fix depends on the latest sh diff I sent, otherwise it will
> >not work.
> >
> >If it's something else, I'm afraid you need to be more precise.
>
> I mean the fix for calling out2str("\n") (possibly recursively) in sh's
> signal handler.  Newlines now get printed to often, so the signal handler
> must be being called too often.

You mean that one that is replaced by
  write(STDERR_FILENO, "\n", 1);
in error.c:onint()?

What happens is that nested shells (like in recursive makes or
test04.sh of my testsuite) each print their own newline. The right
thing would be one newline at all, not one per shell. onint is not
being called more than once for each shell, so I consider this
cosmetic.

Another nitpick is that the newline and the shell prompt are sometimes
being printed before the last line(s) put out by the compiler driver
in a recursive make. I don't know what this implies, but it doesn't
prevent the build from working and from being interruptable.

I think some wrong newlines when killing builds should not prevent the
fix from being commited, so that other people run their system with it
and can point to other application programs that need to exit with
proper status before the next release (I already spotted rsync).

I put the newest fixes and the newest version of my testsuite on
freefall:/home/cracauer/public_html  (http://www.freebsd.org/~cracauer/)

These include the wait fixes. If your observations were done without
them, please repeat them with the newest version.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer